Wednesday, September 27, 2006
The water in this syringe...
... is actually boiling. Yes, when water starts evaporating rapidly. And no, my hand is not being burned off. And the water didn't start at 210 degrees, it started (and ended) at room temperature. When pulling back the syringe with the end capped, it dramatically decreases the pressure. The lack of pressure causes the water to vaporize (boil). The only state of matter that will easily change volume is a gas, so the water becomes a gas to increase its volume to the size of the syringe. You can try this at home with the only materials needed are a syringe and water. Put the water in the syringe, then use force all air out of the syringe. cover the end and pull the syringe back (like you are taking someone's blood at a blood drive) until it is as far back as possible. Wait a short time, and bubbles will start to appear. You have boiling water in your hands.
Comments:
<< Home
OK, Jonathan, every time I would come to this site, I'd read that and think - "I'm going to try that." Well, I just did try it. How long does it take for this "boiling" phenomenon to occur?
I tried it with a 3 cc syringe and 1 cc of water, and the water did NOTHING. Maybe I didn't wait long enough.
Post a Comment
I tried it with a 3 cc syringe and 1 cc of water, and the water did NOTHING. Maybe I didn't wait long enough.
<< Home
